Frequently Asked Questions
Why is this program the right fit for our kids?
What does state law say about sexual education?
(1) “Present abstinence from sexual activity as the preferred choice of behavior in relation to all sexual activity for unmarried pupils because it is the only method that is one hundred percent effective in preventing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and the emotional trauma associated with adolescent sexual activity, and advise students that teenage sexual activity places them at a higher risk of dropping out of school because of the consequences of sexually transmitted diseases and unplanned pregnancy.”
Is the Best Choice program medically and scientifically accurate?
Yes. We have painstakingly developed our curricula to be fully compliant with state law and aligned with the most recognized authorities in the field. The program is 100% medically accurate and all data has been taken from sources like the CDC (Center for Disease Control).
How do you ensure that the program is medically and scientifically accurate?
- The Best ChoiceSM program curricula is built on a firm, scientific, medically sound foundation for the public-school setting.
Someone told me that this is a faith-based program and curriculum? Is that true!?
- Our Best Choice program for public middle and high schools is a completely "silo-ed" program (Best Choice has our own offices, staff, our own website, Facebook page, etc. separated from our faith-based entities). There are no references to religion or faith in our curriculum.
What is ThriVe®?
Uniquely, ThriVe offers women's medical services including pregnancy tests, ultrasounds and STD testing at no charge to the patient. In the rich tradition of St. Louis' greatest hospitals like St. Luke's, St. Joseph's, Barnes-Jewish, Mercy and St. Mary's, ThriVe provides these top tier medical services to the Greater St. Louis area. And like these great hospitals, our licensed medical team understands that some people lean on their faith during a medical crisis; however, our patient experience is entirely secular unless the patient requests a spiritual component to their care. www.thrivestlouis.org
How are you funded?
ThriVe and Best ChoiceSM programs are supported through a variety of funding streams, primarily private donations and foundations. A minority portion of our funding is received through city and state.
Does the program work?
Best Choice is an outcomes-evaluated program, with significant results as recognized from a social science perspective. Students exit our program less likely to negatively impact their GPA through school aged sexual activity, equipped to set healthy boundaries and more likely to have a discussion with their parent/guardian(s) about sex (a key goal for Sexual Risk Avoidance education). The anecdotal evidence for positive impact is overwhelming and the program is wildly popular with students, parents and teachers.
Why are your Best Choice Presenters so effective with our students?
- Uses medically accurate information
- Implements an outcomes-evaluated approach
- Teaches the benefits associated with self-regulation; success sequencing for poverty prevention; developing and maintaining healthy relationships; goal setting; and resisting sexual coercion; dating violence, and other youth risk behaviors such as underage drinking or illicit drug use – all without normalizing teen sexual activity
- Is grounded in widely accepted theories such as the social cognitive theory, the theory of reasoned action, and the theory of planned behavior.